THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 10, 2006

A little bit about our home....


On November 16th, 2005 we moved into this wonderful older cape cod. Hard to believe, but a house built in 1970 is almost considered vintage! This house was built by the owners. He was a carpenter and my husband and I have discovered that he didn't cheap out on the wood used to build the house.

Even inside the garage which is seperate from the house, there are huge beams of what looks to be hand hewn timbers. The two big picture windows in the livingroom and diningroom are double glazed glass with absolutely no leaks nor do they frost up.

I don't care for the look of the glass windows from the outside...but if you are sitting in the livingroom or diningroom the view is truly lovely as you can see from the photo I snapped last week through the window. These deer visit me almost daily and wander through the trees then across the road into our neighbours.

Our lot is a beautiful treed lot with lots of privacy that I prefer. It is set back from the street which also allows the kids to have a wonderful hill to slide or snowboard on. My back yard butts onto my mothers yard which was one of the main reasons we bought the house.

The street is a dead end cul-de-sac though we do get some street noise which is another street over. I love the old trees and yet every time we have a wind storm I say some pretty fervent prayers that one of the trees won't come crashing through our roof.

The front yard is in desperate need of landscaping. The grass does not grow because of the pine trees, the huge fir trees and the multitude of other trees...including an apple tree!

The nicest thing I did this year in the garden was plant garlic plants. It has been 14 years in the making...waiting for a house that I would be staying at for longer than a couple of years or so. My husband and I have already renovated one house, then built two new homes ourselves. We always figured we would be able to build three new houses quickly and be mortgage free with the fourth....LOL...what a hoot....not if you have 4 kids and choose to stay at home as I have done.

However, building a new home is truly a wonderful experience and to a large degree I miss not doing it. It is nice when you move in and most things are done...but we are thrilled to be fixing up this lovely home and restoring it to that place that shows we care. I only wish I had more money and time to do it sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Bobbi Morton said...

This was loveely to read